Saturday, October 18, 2008

things to do today

I planted out most of my square foot garden bed today. I have one square each of peas, courgette, radish, marigolds, sage and spring onions, two squares of carrots and chilli pepper and four of broccoli. Two squares are left over for my tomato plants next week. I also pricked out some chick peas I have sprouted and put them in pots. I'm really looking forward to making completely home grown hummus with my own garlic, lemon and chick peas. The only parts I can't grow myself are olive oil and salt. The broccoli I have grown from seed and put into the bed now that they are about 15cm high. the sage and courgette were seedling impulse buys from the garden centre today. All the rest are from seed, packets for the most part but the chilli is from my friend up the road (she of the huge cauliflowers). If everything comes up I should have wonderful harvests throughout the summer and autumn.
I am a bit puzzled about my strawberries. I have six plants in two buckets. each bucket also has a parsley plant which is looking fantastic. Five of my strawberries are setting fruit and flowering every day but one is is just growing lush leaves. No flowers nor any sign of them. It doesn't look a bit sick so maybe I'll just have to wait and see what's happening. While I'm on the subject of strawberries the birds that ate most of my strawberries last year left me a little present. I have a wild strawberry coming up in the front yard. It has already set some flowers but as it is under the ponga tree I don't know if it will have enough sun to ripen. Another wait and see.

No comments: