Monday, October 6, 2008

Introduction to organic gardening

Hi
My name is Paul Callaghan and I am a newcomer to the world of organic gardening. Earlier this year I had some problems with my digestion and decided that I was sick and tired of going to see the doctor (as well as being sick and tired generally). I have been interested in organics for a while so I decided that a way of being healthier is to eat better. I have cut down on the amount of meat that I eat and I am moving towards an organic food diet. The trouble is that organic food is so expensive in the shops. Only way to fix that is to grow my own, so in July this year I started to prepare for our Southern hemisphere spring. Some garlic and onions had started to sprout in the pantry so I put them into some compost in pots and put them on the deck. My garden is small and quite shady so I will do most of my growing in containers on the deck so that they get some sunshine. The garlic and onions look very healthy and so I have added lettuce, mesclun, beetroot, spring onions, carrots and peas to the containers. I also have tomatoes, cucumber, chilli and basil growing inside waiting for the end of the frosts which I can get until the end of October here.

No comments: