Friday, October 24, 2008

Looking Forward to a Long Weekend

YEEEAAAAH!!!
A long weekend coming up here in NZ. And it is the weekend most spoken of in the gardening books. Labour weekend. Time to plant out lots of things. I have eight Moneymaker tomato plants that I have grown from seed and now stand about 15cm high with lovely dark purple stems. Two of them I am going to plant in my home made planter on the deck next to the (flowering) Black Krim that I bought as a seedling.Four will go into one of my adapted 'fishing boxes'. These are 50 litre black plastic bins that were on special at the Warehouse earlier on in the year. I drilled holes in the bottom and then layered them with ponga stems, horse manure, wormcast and topped them off with some potting mix that I had left over from last year. (Yes I know it's not completely organic but I refuse to waste things). The other two will go into the gaps in my square foot garden. I also have some seedling basil plants which apparently need to go in at about three per tomato to improve the flavour of both.
I tried to sprout some red kidney beans from the pantry this week but they just went mouldy. Time perhaps to throw out the old stuff in the pantry? I'll tell the wife to get it done. (And probably end up wearing the pantry!)
No sign of any shoots bursting through in the SFG yet but the broccoli and courgette look like they have settled in. If the rain stops and things warm up a bit over the weekend I expect I'll at least see the radish this week. During a dryish bit this week I managed to get some mulch around the seedlings. I used the small fronds from my ponga. I have lots of ponga in the garden it causes shade and the leaves are a hassle to clear up but I do love the look of these fern trees. And now I have found a use for the bits that compost slowly. Amazing how I can justify myself to myself.

No comments: