Friday, October 24, 2008

Bloody slugs

Bugger. Just when you thought it was safe in the garden along comes a slug . I've just been out with my torch and my brolly and caught a big fat slug eating my courgette. It has made a helluva mess. It's munched just about every thing except the stems. Early tomorrow I am following the advice of Sister Loyola and putting pine needles all around my square foot garden. Sister Loyola is NZ's 2008 gardener of the year check out her video here:

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/2223331

This lovely nun has been a fulltime gardener since she "retired" at the age of 72. Now 86, she only does organic. And man just look at her compost heap. She has a lot more land than me but she feeds a lot more people too.

On the bright side I have had several lovely green salads this spring already from the deck. Baby mesclun , lettuce and beetroot leaves, a squirt of lemon juice and a touch of salt. Yum.

1 comment:

dinzie said...

Just the worst weather for slugs and snails ... We've had some major attacks around the garden ..Not so much where the vegie beds are yet though ....

Long weekend and we've a cold wet southerly pounding the house ... Good time for a book and the armchair :O)
D