Saturday, November 1, 2008

You can tell its the weekend...

... because the rain is coming down. After a lovely few days of sunshine Saturday limps along with drizzle and high winds. My tomatoes are planted out and I have surrounded my square foot garden with pine needles and mulched the bigger plants with ponga leaves. It seems to have kept the slugs and snails off for now but I'll have to get out there with the torch tonight with this weather. I planted some more chilli seeds during the week as the first lot seem to have disappeared and not sprouted. The radishes, carrots, peas and marigolds have sprouted in the SFG. No sign yet of the spring onions. My dustbin full of spuds is going great guns and has had to be mounded with compost twice this week. I also have a bucket full of "Earth Gems" -small yellow and purple potato-like tubers- which are also going well. Lettuce and Mesclun are sprouting away and my kettle of baby carrots is looking well- I thinned some out the other day and the discards, although tiny, tasted just like carrots used to before the industrials recycled them in plastic bags for us.

1 comment:

dinzie said...

I managed to get out there this morning despite the gale around us ... By 12pm it was pouring
D