Monday, November 10, 2008

Battling the slimies

Much as I thought that the slugs and snails had died down they were back with a vengeance last week, so over the weekend I added some more pine needles around my square foot garden. I was speaking to a very nice lady who sells organic seedlings at our local market and she had a great idea. Coffee grounds also repel slugs and snails but it can take a while to get enough grounds to make a difference. So this morning I went to my local coffee cart and asked them for their rubbish sacks full of coffee. They were very happy to let me have a couple of sacks which I have layered over the top of the pine needles but still left a few centimetres of needles between the coffee and the beds. There were a few milk bottle tops and receipts in the sack but it only took a minute to remove them. Our particular cart uses organic and fair trade coffee so I am compromising neither my organic nor my ethical values and I am recycling what would otherwise be destined for the landfill.
I have also planted some capsicum, some more beetroot and some spinach. The mesclun just keeps on coming and I am eating green salads almost every day. Now the challenge is to get the kids eating them too.

No comments: