Friday, December 5, 2008

In the garden again

Every thing looks pretty good this week. I harvested one lot of radish which had grown too fast and split and one lot which were marble size and delicious. I think the trick with the next lot will be to try and harvest somewhere in the middle. I had a pea plant which gave up the ghost immediatley after I picked the pods - within hours it looked dead so into the compost heap it went. Tomatoes are all flowering and the ones in deeper soil are much healthier looking. Planted out some capsicum seedlings which were looking very small but have doubled with a bit more room. Courgettes are coming on and the cucumber plants are in flower and racing up the strings. I gave up on the square foot carrots, recomposted and planted chinese cabbage in that square. The chilli plants are still a bit small but look healthy, and the potatoes are in rampant bloom. Not so much sun this week so I only have green strawberries at the moment.
I seem to have finally got the hang of the compost heap and the last lot that I took out was looking almost perfect. I'm still amazed at how hot it gets inside a heap, especially when I throw the grass cuttings in. While turning over the compost heap I came across a rubber plant that my wife hated and threw out last year when in went straggly. It has developed a very large root ball and had two green leaves, it was at the back of the heap so was not completely covered but still it was pretty much in constant shade. Incredible that it was still alive. I'm going to put it back into a pot and see if I can sneak it into the house. Such determination needs recognising.

No comments: